It’s difficult to get away from the big C word at the moment (Coronavirus just to be clear!), with all the craziness that’s going on around the world.
I’m going to ignore the politics of whether the UK has been quick enough to self isolate. But what did get me thinking was how the world is dealing with the whole situation of have a large part of their workforce remote working and working from home.
- How are different countries collaborating?
- What technologies are people using to stay connected?
Google Trends for world collaboration trends
Using Google Trends, I’ve pulled together a few collaboration technologies and countries out of curious interest. I’ve only used the following:
- Google Hangouts
- Microsoft Teams
- Zoom Video Communications
- G Suite
A few interesting observations
- WORLDWIDE – Zoom is the biggest winner with almost 5 times more searches since mid February.
- WORLDWIDE – Microsoft Teams comes in at second place after lagging behind Slack in February.
- UK – Microsoft Teams is the most popular platform, searches have more than doubled since Feb, but again Zoom has gained the most almost 4 times more searches.
- SPAIN – Appears to favour Google Hangouts.
- ITALY – Breaks the charts. Slack curiously seems out of favour in Italy.
- FRANCE – Seems to be the only country that favours the use of Slack more than the other platforms. As of the 12th March, growth in search trends have been slower than other countries.
- AUSTRALIA – Again has seen a growth in searches for Zoom but trends for other platforms have remained fairly static.
Collaboration tools search trends worldwide
Interactive collaboration tools search trends worldwide
The below is an interactive Data Studio dashboard, in case you can’t access Click this link – feel free to play around with the data.
It’s going to be interesting to see how this changes the working landscape moving forwards.