Validating your site in Google Search console has evolved over the years with the latest update allowing for domain level verification. This has huge benefits for a domain which has multiple subdomains, for example where you would want to see an aggregate view of all the data for the whole domain.
Once domain validation is set up it is also very quick to validate new sub-domains or sub-folders that you would want a separate view for in Search Console. You won’t need to attempt validation via Google Analytics or Google Tag Manager, which can be at times problematic, and you won’t need to rely on the fall back method of uploading a file to the server which, again adds to delays.
Verify your domain today using the steps shown in the video also outlined below in full:
How to set up domain validation
Key requirement is
- Access to Domain provider to amend DNS settings
- Click the drop down for the domain property on the top right
- Scroll to the bottom of the drop down box and select ‘Add Property
- In property type box choose Domain and type in your domain
- Once you click continue you’ll be provided with a TXT record that you need to add to your DNS. Copy the verification code and click on verify later.
Step 3 – DNS settings
You now need to login to your domain provider to access DNS settings. For our example we use Microsoft
- Login to the admin portal, go to Settings and then Domains, select your domain and then click on New custom record
- Select TXT (Text) record and paste the verification code into the TXT Value field
- Once you’ve saved this you will need to wait for the domain settings to propagate the web. This can take anywhere from 10 minutes to 24-48 hours. You can check the status using providers such as Dnschecker.org to validate your TXT record over the web.
Step 4 – Verify in Search Console
To verify the domain after all settings have been updated. Click on the drop down for Properties on the top left of Search Console and scroll to the bottom of the list. At the bottom will be the Not Verified sites. Click on the site to be verified
- If everything at the DNS has been completed correctly your site will verify.
- Once the domain is verified all sub-domains,sub-folders and urls under that domain will auto-verify